I think I have found a new addiction this week (as if scrapbooking wasn't time consuming enough..lol) and it is called Art Journaling! Or you might call it Creative Therapy as well..in my case...(lol again) !
Let me explain this a little bit: I was working on a card for a challenge. I wanted to send in my work for this challenge not because I like making cards so much, but because of the prize you could win (oops!)...I do make cards now and than just for fun, just be creative in an other way. Well, I spent a big part of my afternoon on cardmaking and the results at the end: zero inspiration! I'm not even gonna show you the results!
So I was down and grumpy and decided to try a next step in art journaling after dinner.
Julie Fei-Fan Balzer had a great tutorial on her blog this time, working with pieces cut out from magazines and great painting- and doodling techniques. She was inspired by Teesha Moore. I had found Teesha's blog during some previous bloghopping so I knew her work already and have often wondered how she did it. Thanks to Julie's tutorial I had a new starting point for my art journaling.
And here's comes the part why I call it Creative Therapy as well: I had a great time again, making a collage with the cut outs from the magazines. (Unfortunately no Vogue or other glossy's in the house..), painting, etc. It was far past midnight before I finished my page but I was more than happy with the results.
Here it is:
The image is a combination of four different pictures, which I found in the magazines I had laying around. Funny detail: the head is from an add of H&M Fashion, the body came from Quest (of all magazines..! Yeah, I was a bit desperate searching in this one..), the lemonade came from an add too and the big flower came from an add in a health magazine. Still, I would love to try this technique with some real glossy magazines...
First I covered the watercolorpaper with masking tape, just to add some more dimension and 'gesso'-ed it. Then I glued my images...and then I realized I had forgotten to paint my background...So I painted it afterwards! Instead of outlining the image with black paint (like I planned) I left a little line of white space around it, while I was painting. I also stamped with some bubble wrap. I used the other end of my paintbrush to stamp the golden paint. I cut out the title and outlined these with a black marker.
The only thing I'm still thinking about is if I should add some more journaling.(Journaling is one of my weakest points..I admit...) What do you think? Should I add some more words?
Today, Julie is having another (!!) great blogpost to help you start with art journaling. She has a great video with some fun techniques and an awesome video about her own art journal. Go check it out!
And last but certainly not least: Julie featured my first steps in art journaling on her blog. She wrote such nice words on her blog about me..(blush)..Thanks so much, Julie! Again!
I hope to be back with some more art journaling tomorrow because my hands are itching to try all the new techniques I just saw...

2 reacties:
Super, Sandra!!! En nee, geen journaling meer toevoegen. Dit lijkt zelf wel een advertentie, zo komt het echt op mij over. En dat is volgens mij ook de bedoeling! Echt geweldig en ik weet nu dat ik voortaan elk tijdschrift bewaar! Wat ben je toch goed bezig! Leuk ook je eerdere werk op het blog van Julie zelf is geplaatst. Zegt genoeg denk ik... toch;)?
it's so original!! Love the flower-umbrella! :-)
Een reactie posten